Will Unwin on 17 February 2018
- Sunderland suffered further woes slumping at the Stadium of Light as Brentford eased to a 2-0 win. Kamohelo Mokotjo struck the opener from the edge of the box after 13 minutes of domination from the visitors. Neal Maupay flicked in a second and Sunderland had no way of getting back into it, leaving them second from bottom.
- Things could have been worse for Sunderland but Burton Albion could not break down 10-man Nottingham Forest at the Pirelli Stadium, resulting in a 0-0 draw. Eric Lichaj was dismissed in the 28th minute for a lunge on Martin Samuelson but neither team could find the back of the net.
- Wolves failed to extend their lead at the top as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Preston. Alan Browne headed Alex Neil’s team into the lead after the break but then midfielder John Welsh was dismissed for the first time in his career after a second bookable offence. Wolves took their chance to get back into the game as Hélder Costa equalised two minutes later after bursting into the box and calmly finishing.
- The red card shown to Bolton defender Mark Little turned their clash at QPR, the hosts winning 2-0. Little saw red in the 54th minute for a poor challenge on Massimo Luongo. Joel Lynch diverted Matt Smith’s flick into the goal before the striker got his own reward in injury-time to complete the victory. Fred Onyedinma scored the only goal to give Millwall a 1-0 win at Birmingham.
- Shrewsbury did not make the most of Wigan’s FA Cup adventure as they lost 1-0 at home to Rotherham. Richard Wood scored the only goal of the game but the South Yorkshire side were dominant throughout as Shrewsbury suffered an off day.
- Chris Powell continued to change the fortunes of Southend as he saw his new team win their fourth game since he arrived, beating Portsmouth 3-1. Full-back Jason Demetriou scored twice after a Matt Clarke own goal gave them the lead. Gareth Evans pulled one back for Portsmouth but there was no way back after Nathan Thompson was dismissed.
- Dan Micciche’s reign at MK Dons is not going according to plan as he witnessed them lose a fifth straight game, as Charlton won 2-1. The pain will be worsened by the fact former MK Dons boss Karl Robinson was in the opposing dugout as Ahmed Kashi and Josh Magennis netted. Kieran Agard reduced the arrears but it was not sufficient.
- Plymouth are just one point outside the play-offs after Sonny Bradley’s winner continued their remarkable run with a 1-0 victory at Oxford.
- Paul Mullin’s late goal settled a five-goal thriller at the County Ground as Swindon defeated Port Vale 3-2. Robins striker Marc Richards scored twice against his former club after Kyle Howkins gave the visitors the lead. Christian Montaño levelled things up but the game was settled by Mullin’s 88th-minute winner.
- Wycombe moved second by defeating Cheltenham 2-0. Adebayo Akinfenwa and Paris Cowan-Hall were on target for Gareth Ainsworth’s side.
- Crewe earned a much-needed three points thanks to Shaun Miller’s goal in their 1-0 win over Colchester.