Dominic Solanke: Sancho’s success has been big influence on young players

Sachin Nakrani on 11 January 2019

Dominic Solanke believes young English players are increasingly unwilling to wait for their chance to prove themselves at the biggest clubs in the country and will follow his example, as well as that of Jadon Sancho, by leaving in order to find first-team football.

Solanke completed a £17m move from Liverpool to Bournemouth last week, a fee that is somewhat remarkable given the 21-year-old’s playing record – one 17-minute substitute appearance for Chelsea in October 2014 followed by 21 appearances, 16 of which came off the bench, and only one goal scored for Liverpool having moved there in May 2017.

He did score seven goals in 25 Eredivisie appearances during a loan spell at Vitesse Arnhem, while at Chelsea and he was also a key part of the England Under-20 squad who won the World Cup in 2017.

As such, he backs himself to be a success at Bournemouth and views his decision to join Eddie Howe’s side as part of a wider trend that began when Sancho moved from Manchester City to Borussia Dortmund two summers ago. The winger was deemed by some to have taken a risk but he has thrived at the Bundesliga leaders and has gone on to become part of Gareth Southgate’s senior setup.

“That [Sancho’s success at Dortmund] has affected everyone,” said Solanke, who has one England cap. “When one young player sees another young player doing that they think they can do it as well, especially when everyone is playing at international level together. Sancho is doing well in Germany and a lot of players would like to follow his path. What he’s done, getting into the England team at such a young age, it will influence a lot of young players.”

Callum Hudson-Odoi could become the next young domestic talent to leave one of England’s biggest clubs in order to gain first-team football, with the 18-year-old Chelsea winger the subject of a £35m bid from Bayern Munich and supposedly keen to make the switch given he has yet to start a Premier League game for Maurizio Sarri’s side.

“I think every footballer just wants to play,” said Solanke when commenting on his own lack of opportunities at Stamford Bridge, as well as at Anfield. “You want to show what you can do and I’m definitely looking forward to playing here.” Solanke will have to wait for that opportunity given he is still recovering from the muscle injury that meant a move to Crystal Palace fell through at the start of the month.

In contrast, Nathaniel Clyne is already up and running for Bournemouth having also joined the club from Liverpool on a loan deal that runs until the end of the season. The right-back started last week’s FA Cup third-round defeat to Brighton and is in line to do the same against Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Like Solanke, Clyne is enthused by the prospect of regular first-team football at Bournemouth having struggled for that at Anfield.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Speaking alongside the striker on Friday, the 27-year-old also dismissed claims from Neil Warnock that he had already agreed to join Cardiff before moving to the south coast. Warnock last week accused Liverpool of “lacking class” over Clyne’s situation before going on to describe himself as “disappointed”, having given the player his first taste of first-team football while manager of Crystal Palace in 2008.

“Nothing was agreed,” insisted Clyne. “It was just talks, really, between my agent and the clubs, and ultimately I made the decision to come to Bournemouth. I’m just fully focused now on training and playing for Bournemouth.”

Latest football headlines

Latest Football News